Wednesday 9 May 2012

Avoca

I have spent the last week on holiday near Dublin.  I have never been to southern Ireland before
and what a lovely place it is.  Taking advantage of a shopping trip into Dublin I ventured into Avoca.  Although well known throughout the world they only have shops in Ireland.   It didn't disappoint and I just wanted to buy everything!


This then led to a trip to their mill further south.  It is the oldest working mill in Ireland, founded in 1723.  You are allowed to see the looms working and it is fascinating to look around.  First of all we had lunch, Spinach and Ricotta Strudel with salad


 then had a tour round the mill to see the looms in action.



Old cinema seats.

 I love this chair.





This is one of the older looms

and these are some of the the looms currently in use.



Everywhere is so colourful.





Then to the shop



and this is what I bought.



I can't wait to try some of the recipes in this cookbook.

13 comments:

  1. I love Dublin - and Avoca! I wanted to buy everything in the shop. Your photos are beautiful and capture how colourful the shop is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a magical place ...I have to go back and look at it all over again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Avoca shop in Dublin.
    When Ryan Air were running their 99p flights from Bournemouth airport it worked out with the taxes etc about £40 return ticket to fly over which was cheaper than the day train fair to London.
    I had a lovely trip with a friend...it was her birthday and she was really glum so I said "fancy going out for lunch" and she said (without much ensusiasm) "ok, where?" and I replied "DUBLIN"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful place, I have always wanted to go to Dublin. The shop looks wonderful and the haberdashery cupboards are to die for. I think I would have wanted everything in the shop. It will be lovely to meet you at the Avington Brocante if you can come. I know my stand is indoors and I've got a large corner so come over and have a natter if you can make it.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a fabulous shop..I remember wanting to buy everything too.
    For some reason the huge scones in the cafe stand out vividly in my memory....delicious!
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful displays & shop - it's refreshing to see so much bright colour. I just signed up as your latest follower & I look forward to popping back for some more inspiration.

    Melissah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have wanted everything in that shop! I love the look of your lunch.

    Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post, the mill looks so inviting and I especially like the cupboard with labels, bags and boxes written on it. The book looked very interesting you will have to show us when you make something from it.
    Reallly jeolous!
    Jillx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The whole place looks so colourfull, think that is the secret of their success, gorgeous shades. Your purchases looked as if they were all bought to match just gorgeous. What a truly inspirational place. jayne

    ReplyDelete
  10. This paragraph is truly a good one it assists new web visitors, who are
    wishing for blogging.

    Feel free to visit my weblog; http://www.israelnews.co

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hola! I've been following your web site for a long time now and finally got the courage to
    go ahead and give you a shout out from Humble Tx!
    Just wanted to say keep up the excellent job!

    Check out my blog :: l�na pengar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, all the time i used to check web site posts here in the early hours
    in the dawn, for the reason that i like to gain knowledge of more and more.


    Stop by my page come allungarsi il pene

    ReplyDelete