I was really annoyed with myself but, having put several items in the dustbin, I then washed everything else and sorted it all into what I could salvage. The result was lots of lace and embroidered textiles which I have now resolved to upcycle and make into various items (mostly cushions).
This monogram P was all I could salvage from one piece and, as soon as I made it into a cushion and added it to my website, it sold.
Some Maltese lace doilies and a lace butterfly have now been sewn onto hessian to make lavender cushions/sachets. I love the contrast of agricultural sacking with pretty fine lace.
Lace was also sewn onto hessian to make bunting for a vintage wedding.
Another cushion was made from parts of embroidered sheets and tablecloths,
another from a damaged sheet bearing the monogram M C.
and lastly another pair of cushions I have made using a pure linen French sheet and a very pretty hand embroided edging.
There are lots more pieces to 'salvage' and I am looking forward to using them to create more upcycled items.