Tuesday 22 January 2013

Toile de Jouy

Toiles were originally produced in Ireland in the mid 18th century and quickly became popular in Britain and France.  The term Toile de Jouy originated in France in the late 18th century; the phrase literally means 'cloth from Jouy-en-Josas', a town in north central France.

The patterns are generally quite complex and have pastoral themes.  Generally, but not always, there is one colour on a white background, the most popular being dark red, blue or black.

These are some of my favourites I have found on Pinterest.






Today I went to Chichester and had lunch with a friend at Amelie's restaurant, a favourite of ours and had the most amazing risotto I have ever tasted, ever mouthful was followed by a 'Mmmmmm'.  It was celeriac with hazelnuts and raisin puree which sounds a bit strange but absolutely to die for!


(sorry the photo is a bit blurred)

Whilst there I bought some toile de jouy bedding in the Laura Ashley sale and two boxes to match.  They will look perfect in my bedroom.




If there was a balloon coming out of the lady's head what do you think she would be thinking or saying????
I will send a lavender filled toile de jouy fabric heart similar to this one to what I consider to be the best caption.




9 comments:

  1. 'I have a headache' or ' I must give it some thought"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Oh, Henry, I said lamb chops - the guests will be here in an hour"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she would have said "Oh do go away you silly man, I said I wanted a sleep, not a sheep!"
    I adore toiles too, and especially love your new Laura Ashley bedding and boxes!
    The risotto looks as yummy as you say it tastes - risottos are often underestimated I think.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Oh no, now I'll have to do a recount" or " Yes, you can mind the sheep whilst looking idyllic, it's called MULTI-TASKING!"

    I also love toiles, I was only passing Laura Ashley yesterday - wish I'd popped in now! It was snowing hard at the time though, so sadly I wasn't in much of a mood for browsing.

    Rx

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Oh...Give me Strength!" Toiles are wonderful I love them in drapes and pillow covers. Would love to see a finished photo when you get the bedroom done up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Toile de Jouy too - I sometimes find antique pieces printed in squares for handkerchiefs, usually commemorating a hero like Napoleon or sometimes with a Victorian nursery rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Be still my bleating heart" ... sorry, best I can do!
    What beautiful bedding.
    M x

    ReplyDelete