Tuesday 24 July 2012

Dressing Table Make-Over

When we were first married we bought this dressing table at a farm auction.  It cost us £50 which was a lot of money back in 1978 but I loved it.  Over the years I have tentatively considered painting it but felt it would be sacrilege especially as the door panels were either walnut or cherry wood.



However, this weekend I bit the bullet and got out the trusty Farrow & Ball paint and got painting.  This time I used their 'Light Blue' as I used this on the cornicing in the bedroom where it lives.

I must say I am really pleased with the result; it is such a transformation and looks so much better than the previously gingery varnished wood.  What do you think?



I have only lightly distressed the paintwork and after waxing applied some gold to highlight the detail.



I think the colour co-ordinates well with the marble top too.


I always make sure I paint the inside the same colour as I hate to see painted furniture where they haven't bothered to do this.



I have also done a makeover on a couple of stools.  They were covered in old green carpet so I renewed the webbing and covered them in a pretty fabric with hydrangeas on it.




I have sold one stool but decided to keep the other and it goes so well with the dressing table!


15 comments:

  1. I think it looks absolutely gorgeous Ruth, you have done a fantastic job. It really suits the marble top. Hope you are enjoying the sunshine.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made a good decision in painting the dressing table. It is so pretty! Love the mirror you chose to go with it too!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made the right decision its timeless now......love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the dressing table was just WAITING to be painted!
    I did the same with mine which is a real Art Deco shape, 'cept its bright Barbie pink- and I love it to bits, altho I'm probably the only one who does! nice thing is, it can always be transformed yet again!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your photography! Will certainly be back to see more! Great makeover, one of those 'would you believe it' transformations! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Ruth,

    I feel the same way you do, when it comes to painting a lovely wooden piece. However, I always think to myself it's paint that I can remove later on, if I choose to bring a piece back to it's natural glory ;o)

    You made a "parfait" choice and the pieces look amazing! Love the color and textile pattern for the stools. Sooooo charming! Great job!

    Soon, we will be taking on a similar project....a complete bedroom set to paint. Large pieces in dark walnut. Just needs a facelift and lightened. I think it will be a nice change.

    Thank you! for sharing your wonderful post and photos. Love them! Have a beautiful day!

    Blessings & Hugs,
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing, much better, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks wonderful! You'd never believe it was the same piece of furniture. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dressing table turned out so beautiful.

    Michele
    Pearl 13.1

    Love the color !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just stunning - I love the soft grey you have picked.

    Melissah

    ReplyDelete
  11. That dressing table looks just fab following your very clever make-over! Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ruth,

    I think it looks lovely painted, really pretty. I particularly like the subtle touch of gold you have achieved.

    Can I ask which wax you use? I have just done a chair for the spare room (in the same colour!) and used my usual wax but it comes out a bit too shiny.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rebecca
    I use Briwax. I mix a little of their Dark Oak was with more of the Clear and find it has just the right amount of sheen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks amazing, you have done a tremendous job, either you have polished the old wooden dressing table that makes it a clear crystal like new stuff.. It really suits

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marble on dressing table is not looking good. It is not the self of kitchen, it is dressing table. I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete