Monday 26 July 2010

Day 8 A Photo That Makes you Angry/Sad

This photo was taken in 1974 when I was 21 years old. It is of my dad and me, he died several years ago.
My parents divorced when I was 10 and my mum and I moved to Cornwall from Derbyshire. I then only saw my father once a year for a holiday. I would travel on my own on a train to see him then after two weeks he would put me back on the train homeward bound. Even as I am typing this I can feel the emotions that I felt then - a little girl saying goodbye to her daddy knowing she wouldn't see him for another year.




5 comments:

  1. This recollection from your childhood is very sad. I am sorry you saw so little of your dad when you were growing up. So difficult for a 10 year old to comprehend. You do both look happy in the photo together. Your dress is quite Laura Ashley-esque. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost my Mum in 1974 the week I got married, funny how memories tug at the heart strings, I suppose it makes us who we are.
    I hope you enjoyed you facial we are planning another visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that has made me feel very sad for you and very lucky that, even at 53, my Mum and Dad are still with me - 80 and 84!
    love
    Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sad situation. My dad died when I was 7 and photos of him make me sad he never saw his children grow up.
    I did have a very lovely step-dad though!
    love
    lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is heart wrenching to think how you must have felt Ruth. I hope you got to spend more time with your father as you grew older.

    Michele x

    ReplyDelete