Thursday 15 July 2010

Day 4 Favourite Book

Now this is really too difficult to narrow down to one book. For the BBC's Big Read in 2003 where people could vote for their favourite book I voted for Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mocking Bird'; this came 6th. Number one was Tolkein's 'Lord of the Rings' which I have never read, nor shall I ever as it is not the sort of book I would enjoy at all.
The book I have read more times than any other has been 'Great Expectations' but this is because I have had to study it for two different courses. I did enjoy it though and far more than any other Dickens' book I have read.



Out of all the books I have read recently the one I enjoyed most has been 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak. It actually moved me to tears at the end and it has had this effect on two other friends of mine who have read it.

At the moment I am reading 'Roots' by Alex Haley and can't put it down! Next in line is 'Life Class' by Diana Athill which I bought after seeing her interviewed on TV a couple of weeks ago.

3 comments:

  1. ha! I did To Kill a Mockingbird for O level English. . .crumbs I can still practically rmember it word for word even after ALL these years.
    Mind you, it's probably about the only thing I can remember thse days!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always interesting finding out other peoples views on books they have read. It makes you look at books you might not usually pick up.
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was about 14 I had to read To Kill a Mockingbirg for school (9th grade here in the States). In the time it took the class to make it though the book I found myself actually reading it twice, cover to cover! It is certainly one of the best novels to come out of 20th century America.

    I had to smile when I saw you list Great Expectations as one of your favorites as well. Myself and a friend are currently reading all of Dickens novels in chronological order, one month on, one month off. We're up to number three now, Nicholas Nickleby. I've been rather delighted to discover that the young Dickens had quite the sense of humor, which is a pleasant change from some of his later, darker material. I found myself laughing out loud many times during Pickwick, particularly. If you haven't read it, and appreciate good satire, I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete