Tuesday 1 April 2008

And the good news is....

The good news is we have finally exchanged contracts and move into our new house on 21st April! Busy times ahead. I have elected to do the packing myself so collected the 15 boxes from the removal company. Well that should do one room! Think I may have to go back for more.

It's all feeling a bit scary especially as we have this house just as we want it and are now set to embark on more diy, builders, no spare cash, few spare weekends etc etc but we keep telling ourselves that we are not insane and as the new house has POTENTIAL we will eventually have that looking just as we like it too.
This is our local beach just down from our new house at Lee on the Solent. Hubby was rather cold and battling against the wind on Saturday.

This will only be our fifth house that we have owned which isn't bad going in 30 years and we also lived in two married quarters. The first house we bought was £10,150; this one is a little more!

I had a lovely surprise from http://randomjottings.typepad.com/ who kindly sent me the book Death and the Maidens about Fanny Wollstenecraft and the Shelley Circle. I had commented on her blog that I would like to read it one day and she sent it to me. Thankyou so much Elaine. This lady is amazing, not only does she read avidly she also manages to write a post every day and I thoroughly enjoy reading her reviews of books. Our reader's group is reading The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney for our next meeting. At the moment I am ploughing my way through 1000 pages of Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I also picked up Toast by Nigel Slater at a car boot this week. I've wanted to read it for a while as several friends have recommended it. I am always interested to know what other people are reading.
I went to see 'The Other Boleyn Girl' at the cinema last night. It was ok but I wouldn't recommend it. The actor who played Henry VIII was totally unconvincing. I hadn't realised they had hair straighteners in those days! When Mary Boleyn was summoned to Henry's bed chamber in between disrobing and lying on his bed she had managed to straighten her beautiful long wavy hair. So, you see GHDs are not new! Actually I used to iron my hair in the 60s. My long hair was thick and wavy and I longed to have straight thin hair so I used to lie it on the ironing board and run the iron over it! Did anyone else do this?

Isn't it wonderful to have the lighter evenings? I went for a lovely long walk yesterday, it was so sunny and warm. I passed fields of rhubarb, daffodils and polythene covered strawberry plants.


I have done another make-over on a directors chair. You will probably recognise the material as I have used it on several projects.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Ruth. So pleased it's all going through OK. Only 15 boxes - don't they realise who they're moving????

    Ours is house #10 is as many years, so you have a way to catch up, but how lovely to be by the sea!

    The chair looks good. Will you be making over loads and renting them out on the beach in the summer?!

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news, busy times ahead but so worth once you've got your new house as you want it.
    I enjoyed reading Toast, it's a poignant read, haven't read the other two though. I fancy treating myself to some books from Persephone, they have some really interesting titles and I want to get my teeth into a book. When I was young I could lose myself in a book and haven't done that for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant idea Sue, why didn't I think of that? Now I can see how you are such a good business woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruth, oh how wonderful to be moving to a new place, I don't envy you all the work though, but will be worth it in the end. I've sworn never to move to a house that needs anything doing to it again! The director's chair looks fabulous too. Have a good weekend,
    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great news, you are on the move, although you must feel a bit sad that Tom isn't coming with you, but a good opportunity for him as well as you and your husband. I can't comment on your books, I don't ever find time to read novels etc. I can comment on that very pretty field of daffodils though, I would have been very tempted to have picked a few! Your lovely directors chair makes my two look very sad. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth - thank you for the nice things you have said about me on your blog - much appreciated! I do hope you enjoy reading Death and the Maidens once you have finished the move and unpacked and settled in. The picture of the beach looks simply beautiful and I wish you joy and happiness in your new home.

    ReplyDelete