Saturday 14 July 2007

It's been a long time....

I realise it is a whole month since I last posted on my blog. I really don't know how some people manage to write so frequently, some even every day!

I was asked by a very good customer of mine if I was going to write about my lunch and barbecue evening I hosted for Breast Cancer yesterday so I've been motivated to get blogging again! Unfortunately I was so busy running round serving food and drinks, packing food into the fridge then getting it out again as people all arrived at different times that I completely forget to take any photos until everyone was leaving. Her are the few that I took.


I tried to have a mostly pink theme and a good friend of mine came and decorated the garden. I made the bunting and she made these lovely green bows so between us we made this old parasol look very pretty. The weather was very kind - we had no rain and at one point people were applying sun screen! We were even able to sit outside until late last night. I think the mosquitos were feasting on me judging by the number of bites I have. A good time was had by all and we raised some money for a very worthy cause.

Since I last posted my son has turned 18. We had a lovely family meal out together but I wasn't allowed to take any photos because he had 2 spots and had run out of hair gel! Here, though, is a photo of him and my only aunt who, sadly, died the next day.


We went to York to her funeral. It's the first humanist funeral I have been to but it was 'lovely'. The only people who spoke were those who had known her for a very long time. The music was supplied by a pianist whom my cousin had seen busking in York and had asked to come along and play music my aunt had liked. She had a wicker coffin and we followed a Salvation Army trombonist to the grave and the only flowers were garden flowers from mourners' own gardens. The whole funeral took a lot of organising by my cousins, it wasn't just like asking a vicar to oblige, and I am sure my aunt would have approved. When her two children got up to speak it was very moving.

We have put our house on the market as we have seen another we want to buy so I'm busy keeping the house in a constant state of perfect tidiness and cleanliness but I will post another blog very soon.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend with plenty of sunshine.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you back, I have also found it difficult to post recently. Your aunts funeral sounds very personal and touching, my sympathy to you and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have you back, sometimes we just have to blogging on the back burner for a while....my posting's a bit irregular too! Your Breast Cancer day looks fab, great that you raised funds for such a good cause.
    Best of luck with the house move, we're thinking about moving in a year or so though it's such a stressful event I keep putting it off....but we've outgrown this hous so really need to do it...eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your aunt, but glad that her funeral was one of which she would have approved.

    Good luck to you in keeping the house "show-ready"-- its tough to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your aunt. It is nice to have you back. Well done for fund raising for Breast Cancer, glad that the sun shone for you. Good luck with the house move too!
    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruth

    So, you have had a busy time, a happy time and a sad time.

    I wil email soon - good luck with the house sale!

    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found you - we are in the process of starting a similar business to yourselves plus lots of handmade items.

    ReplyDelete